Re: 2 programming questions

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:24:50AM +0100, Robert Penz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've written a kernel modul and it works sofar, but I've 2 problems with users
> with the new redhat beta. this kernel has changed some functions that I need
>
> 1. the do_generic_file_read function has one parameter more on redhat beta 3
> kernel 2.4.20-2.48 kernel
>
>       do_generic_file_read(vc->vc_backing_file, &position,
> - -          &desc, vc_read_actor);
> +          &desc, vc_read_actor, 1);
>

> I want now to do an ifdef, so it compiles on both kernels, but I don't know
> which value I should take for that ifdef.

The problem is that each vendor could have introduced this change in
any version of its kernel package.
Probably the easiest way is trying to compile a simple module using the additional
parameters and check if it compiles (using a ./configure script, perhaps).

> 2. an other user told me that his redhat kernel bet kernel doesn't export
> sys_call_table  anymore. I use that to give to user an overview of which
> devices are loaded and that stuff. It works also without the proc stuff, but
> I still would like to have my proc stuff, is there now a new way for the proc
> stuff?

I didn't understand why do you need sys_call_table to do the proc stuff.
Your new_open() function doesn't seem to do anything except calling the
real open() syscall.

--
Eduardo