Re: Threads in Linux.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:23:32AM -0800, Jose Luis Alarcon wrote:
>   I can read in the William Stallings "Operating Systems, Fourth Edition"
> that Linux don't make a difference beetween processes and threads (page
> 185, in the spanish translation, at the end of the chapter 4, point 4.6).
>
>   It this true?. I ever was thinking that Linux can recognize the threads
> of a process, i was wrong?.

This is traditionally true; Linux didn't care about the difference. Many
people, myself included, would argue that the traditional Linux "thread
model" made more sense than POSIX thread semantics, but it undeniably
caused problems for developers.

However, the joy of books, is that they are constantly out of date
when discussing specific operating system features. Glibc and the 2.5
series of kernels (as well as some vendor's 2.4 kernels) support NTPL,
a threading enhancement designed to expose POSIX semantics to userspace
in a clean fashion -- cleaner than libpthread, or linuxthreads, or NGPT.

I don't know if the NPTL-ized 2.5 (or some vendor 2.4 kernels) have an
internal difference between threads or tasks or not. I would expect it
to retain the traditional Linux model, though. :)

--
I wonder if the FBI's Carnivore system could cut back on spam...