Re: Compiling a module for different kernel versions

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 12:12, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Seth Arnold (sarnold@wirex.com) wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:23:57AM +0530, Mohanasundaram C wrote:
> > > I would like to know how to compile a module which can be loaded
> > > in differnent kernel versions.
> >
> > [Mohan, please wrap your lines at 72 characters. That will make your
> > emails easier to read. Thanks.]
> >
> > I suggest looking at the Linux Device Drivers, 2nd edition, book, as it
> > has references to a freely available compatibility wrapper header that
> > will assist you in recompiling your module source for multiple kernel
> > versions.
>
> It's important to note, Seth says _recompile_.  Compile once, load in
> various different kernels is a bad idea, and basically doesn't work (as
> Greg pointed out).

CONFIG_MODVERSIONS (Set version information on all module symbols) was
meant to allow you to use the same module with different kernel
versions, as long as the kernel interfaces used by the module were the
same.

Is is suggested to not use this anymore or something?

-mike