Reason for page fault while using allocator module

Hi,
I would like to know the reason for kernel page fault on X86 when I use the allocator module to manage the high memory.
I reserve the memory using "mem=1000m". The total physical RAM size is 1GB. This boot parameter will reserve 24MB of high memory.
I have integrated the allocator module with my driver code instead of as an standalone module.

The kernel gives a page fault when the initialization function allocator_init () is invoked in the init_module () of my kernel driver.

What could be the reason for this behavior?
Please give some information on the concept of high memory and its restrictions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anj