Re: spinlock

On Friday 28 February 2003 11:41, you wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:29:54AM +0100, Rok Papež wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Dne četrtek 27. februar 2003 20:47 je Frank A. Uepping napisal(a):
> > > Is that true that a spinlock gets undefined when compiled
> > > on a uniprocessor system?
> >
> > No.
>
> YES, IT DOES. Except _irqsave/_irqrestore variants (they reduce to
> cli/sti). And for 2.4, that is. With preempt patched (IIRC they are
> included in late 2.5) they become magic.
>
> > > Thus spinlocks can't be used to provide mutual exclusion between
> > > concurrently executing processes on a uniprocessor system, isn't is?
> >
> > No.
>
> There is a limitation. You must not, under penalty of complete machine
> freeze, call schedule() with spinlock locked. You can never be
> interrupted except by interrupt unless you call schedule() [except with
> preept patches. Think of a preempt kernel as always running SMP].
>
> You however must always write code for SMP and on UP spinlocks reduce so
> that they guarantee the same as on SMP taking into account that running
> on UP guarantees some things itself.
>
> > I use them on UP as mutexes.. heavily. You use spinlock if structures you
> > are protecting are being accessed from interrupt/timer/softirq context.
>
> Only _irqsave/_irqrestore variants! Unsing the normal variant to lock
> against interrupt is a bug under penalty of complete machine freeze.
>
> > Mutexes are to be used when structures are accessed *only* from process
> > context.
>
> Yes, semaphores can only be manipulated in process context.

>---- Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>

For clarification.
When I have a struct that I access from proc and int context I have
to use the _irqsave() variant in the proc context (in order to prevent
an irq to be happen) but in the int context I stick to the common variant.
Further a spinlock in not allowed to hold while the current proc sleeps.
Semaphores are not allowed to use in int context because they might
sleep/block.
/FAU