Re: general protection fault!

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, MAASK Group wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am getting a general protection fault with an error code 0 in a thread
> (lightweight process) created using pthread_create().... I checked out that
> this is an exception when a double fault occurs... What is a double fault?

I assume you use an x86 processor.

A double fault is simply as it says, a second fault occuring after a first
one, such as a GPF after a page fault, etc. See for more info the Intel
docs on the subject
(http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumii/manuals/24319202.pdf).

> Also this happens after a page fault... but several page faults are
> successful before this... so the reason might not be a page fault.

The page fault is most likely the first part of the reason.

>    Does anyone know what all are the conditions on which the general
> protection fault occurs? It is generated in hardware.. so i couldnt really
> find out.

The GPF itself is a collection of all reasons that don't happen too often
to make it a separate exception, but still important enough to report. See
the abovementioned intel docs about the subject.