Ugly NTP Problem: Recent Hardware, Old Kernel

I have a nasty problem with two of my production servers here that I can't
resolve.

For various reasons, I am running 2.2.22 kernels, at this time, saying
upgrade to 2.4 is not going to be a great solution.

Everything is fine and stable on all the older bits of hardware.

But I can make two of my servers reboot instantly, by starting ntpd
(4.1.1a).

I didn't think  user-space processes should be able to crash the system :-)

Sometimes, as it dies, I see a message "Bad pmd in pte_alloc: 00001e7".

I haven't been able to identify anything specific about these two servers,
except they both have Tualatin series P3's.

/proc/cpuinfo reports this as model name 00/0b. That I could fix by changing
arch/i386/kernel/setup.c, and adding a string to the table.

One is a uniprocessor Compaq DL380G2 (all my DL380 generation 1 servers run
fine).

The other is a dual processor HP netserver lp2000r

Other than not being able to sync the time to our NTP server, these machines
run fine....

Any ideas what I'm looking for? Where in the code to start?

Regards,

Mike

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This communication including any file attachments is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
or the person responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient,
please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original transmission and its
contents. Any unauthorised use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
communication including any file attachments is prohibited.

It is your responsibility to scan this communication including any file attachments for
viruses and other defects. To the extent permitted by law, ING and its associates will not be liable for any
loss or damage arising in any way from this communication including any file attachments.