Re: Linuxthreads and Pthreads

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:45:20AM +0530, MAASK Group wrote:
> We wanted to know the relation between pthreads and Linuxthreads.

Both are trying to provide posix-thread-like semantics to userland.

> Do both of them use the do_fork function internally ?

do_fork() is not visible to userland programs. They could use one of
fork(), vfork(), clone(), internally. Which they pick, I don't know.
You'd have to look at the sources to find out.

> What kind of threads do most applications like MySql , PostgreSQL use?

Why not just download both mysql and posgresql, unpack the tarballs,
and look at the Makefile and READMEs? :)

I'm sure they'll mention which threading libraries they'll need, if in
fact they are threaded. (I doubt it; threading under linux has more or
less sucked for a long time.. the old (2.4 and earlier) linux thread
model does not mesh well with the POSIX thread model. 2.5 systems, and
at least RedHat's 2.4 vendor kernel, comes with NTPL support, which is
much closer to POSIX's thread model. Maybe multiple-process services
will be re-written to take advantage of this under linux, maybe they
won't be. (BCRL's async io support, also in 2.5 and redhat's 24 vendor
kernel, helps mitigates reasons to choose a multithreaded design.))

Cheers

--
"Meanwhile, in North Korea, the possible 'second-front' in America's
attempt to be 'Rome' in the next Bible, [...]" -- Jon Stewart