Re: vfork()

Vfork is a combination of fork() and exec().
I am confused. The programmer explicitly has to call exec() after a vfork(). right?
-Asmita
(MAASK)

So the pid has to be different...unless CLONE_PID flag is set...[which is normally done by kernel] after vfork() the child and parent have different address space....

Ketan

Rupa wrote:

Hello,
I have a small doubt regarding the working of vfork() system call. when a call to vfork() is made, the child process created will be sharing the address space of the parent. I want to know whether the pid returned by the vfork() is same as the pid of parent. Because in case of fork() system call, child process differs from the parent by pid. I want to know regarding pid in case of vfork() system call.

If I am wrong correct me.

Thanks in advance,
Rupa

--

In order to get a fully working kernel, you have to follow the steps below: -
Walk around your computer widdershins 3 times, chanting "Linus is overworked, and

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/