RE: Bluetooth and The Kernel

Yes, its quite possible to download a new kernel, compile it, and reboot
using it.
See
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Kernel-HOWTO.html
Or
http://www.recompile.org/index.php?page=kernel3.htm
And
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_Kernels

A web search will turn up a lot more links I'm sure.

Yes, you probably will have to compile in a BT driver into the kernel.
However, before you do that, I would recommend just plugging in you BT host
controller and seeing what happens. Then look in your kernel log
 # dmesg
You may find that your distro already has support as a kernel module, and
therefore no need to recompile kernel.

As I remember there are 2 bluetooth drivers:
1)
 * Written by Greg KH
 * lives in drivers/usb/bluetooth
 * TTY like interface
 * works with the Axis OpenBT & IBM BlueDrekar bluetooth stacks

2)
 * Code originally from Qualcomm Inc
 * lives in drivers/bluetooth/hci-usb
 * completely different design to Gregs driver
 * socket based USB bluetooth driver
 * Only works with the BlueZ stack

There are also two kernel stacks that sit above these drivers:
 - Axis BT stack
   * Not GPL
   * http://developer.axis.com/software/bluetooth/

 - IBM BlueDrekar stack
   * released under the GPL
   * http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/tp4bluedrekar/

That was probably more info than you wanted.
Bottom line is that there are two BT drivers in the kernel (both have their
followers) and you should probably look at the IBM BlueDrekar stack (which
might already be included with your distro) and consequently IBMs web site
for more info on what you can do with BT in terms of profile support.

Finally, I've never played with the BT drivers/sw, I only have the above
info from some research I did a while back.

HTH
dom