From: Seth Arnold [mailto:sarnold@wirex.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 10:02 AM
To: kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org
Subject: Re: Bluetooth and The Kernel

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:55:29AM +0100, Kinnert wrote:
> In a linux (RH) filesystem, where do the kernel sources stored.  I
look
> into /usr/src/ and they have three directories which seems like a
kernel
> source?

The sources can be stored anywhere you please. I have bitkeeper
repositories of other people's kernel work stored in ${HOME}/bk/*, the
kernels I run on my machine in ${HOME}/linux/*, and the kernels that I
am working on in ${HOME}/work/*.

I mostly leave /usr/src alone, except when compiling vendor kernel RPM
packages, which sometimes require root privs in order to build. Vender
kernel RPM packages tend to leave source code in
/usr/src/linux-$version,
sometimes with /usr/src/linux symlinks involved.. if these locations
work for you, fine, but I never use root unless I have to, and having
user-owned files in /usr always upsets me. So I just use my home
directory.

One thing to note, when working with vendor kernels, is that there are
differences between the ftp.kernel.org kernels, the kernel.arch.rpm
packages, the kernel-source.[arch?].rpm packages, and kernel.src.rpm
packages. kernel-source.rpm packages tend to be just the source and
configs, so that you could rebuild the kernel the vendor supplied. The
.src.rpm kernels have all the patches they used split apart nicely (if
you're lucky), but they may or may not be easily used to build the
kernel.arch.rpm packages...

I'd say the situation is confusing enough that first-time developers may
find it easier to just download and install ftp.kernel.org kernels, if
you can (your hardware is also supported by these kernels), because it
will be easier for you to _know_ what code you're running and testing,
and potentially talking with others about.

Anyway, I hope this rambling made sense to someone somewhere. I should
be asleep. :)

--
"In time of war, the laws are silent." -- Chief Justice of the United
States Supreme Court, William Rehnquist