Re: Kernel 2.5.59

Okay
while I cant tell you what problem you have I can surely guide to the place where you can find boot procedure.

If you look into the how to of boot disk you will find a small description of the linux boot procedure. Another place is
http://www.netspace.net.au/~gok/power2bash/

and the best in tech details is
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/KanjiFlash/BPTour.htm

Its pretty detailed in the last link I have mentioned.

Hopes this helps.

Dp

dballester@kernpharma.com wrote:

Hello:
I've downloaded 2.5.59 kernel to test it ( for fun ). I'm having a
strange problem. After compile the kernel ( bzImage, modules and
modules_install) I'had put a new entry in my /boot/grub/grub.conf. All Ok.
When the machine starts I can select between both kernels, but if I select
the 2.5.59 entry, after the 'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel'
the startup stops here. No more messages, no any evident signal of KO, only
the booting kernel message.
What's the next step after this message? I don't know very well the
entire process and wanna know where to start the search :(

Info: PIII/700 128 Mg RAM Dell Laptop
RedHat 8.0 ( gcc 3.2 )

Running 2.4.18-3 kernel without problems

Regards and a lot of TIA

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/