RE: module insertion

I'm confused...
My modules.conf looks like this:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

How does this load modules ?
I read the man page for 'modules.conf' and is seems that it is used to
modify behaviour rather than actually load modules.

So does '/etc/init.d/modules' load the modules, while 'modules.conf' just
modifies the load behaviour ?

I don't have a '/etc/init.d/modules' (I am running RH8.0).  Does anyone know
what the equivalent is for Redhat ?

I was under the impression that I could load a module from one of the
following scripts :
RedHat               /etc/rc.local
Debian               /etc/local
SuSe                 /etc/rc.config