RE: Overrinding ".config"

> > If it were my problem, I'd probably have .config.compaq, .config.hp,
> > .config.ibm, .config.dell, .config.apple, .config.gateway, all under
> > your tool's control, and have your build process copy or symlink the
> > .config.foo of your choice into .config, before running make.
>
> bad idea. make mrproper stupidly will delete ALL of these. Better to
> call them config.gateway etc. :)

This is what we have done in the past. Now we are migrating to the Linux
standard method which is to create a default configuration file. Under your
processors "arch" directory there should be a "configs" directory. Put the
copies of your configuration files there.

Example:
Assume our platform is called "newbie"

Create a configuration for your platform that you like. Then:
cp .config arch/<your arch>/configs/newbie_defconfig

You new and improved build method:
- make mrproper
- make newbie_config
- make oldconfig
- make dep zImage ...

"mrproper" will not delete your configuration and everything should work
fine.