Re: Making terminal available for TIOCSCTTY

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:20:56PM +0100, Jan Hudec wrote:
> The reason behind this: I have a process that logs a LOT to
> stdout/stderr, does "setterm" ioctls on it and needs WINCH signal (thus
> a controling tty). I want to run it from gdb and have gdb and this
> programs output separated. Thus I use gdb's tty commad. But I need to
> make a tty available (under X, that is in some terminal emulator).

Could you write a smaller helper program that you exec from $SHELL
within an xterm whose soul purpose in life is to dissasociate from the
terminal and sleep? (I'm assuming if it dies, the xterm will hear about
it and clean up after itself. It might notice the dissassociate too, but
of that I'm less certain. :)

--
In time of war, the laws are silent. -- Chief Justice of the United
States Supreme Court, William Rehnquist