RH7.3 Updates - Compile Issues

I had a working RH7.3 system with a stock 2.4.18-3 kernel. "Working"
included previousl ability to compile a variety of software successfully,
tho I had never compiled a new kernel.

With the intention of compiling a custom kernel I installed the following
software from Red Hat 7.3 updates:

cpp-2.96-113.i386.rpm
gcc-2.96-113.i386.rpm
gcc-c++-2.96-113.i386.rpm
gcc-chill-2.96-113.i386.rpm
gcc-g77-2.96-113.i386.rpm
libstdc++-2.96-113.i386.rpm
libstdc++-devel-2.96-113.i386.rpm
binutils-2.11.93.0.2-11.i386.rpm
glibc-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
glibc-common-2.2.5-42.i386.rpm
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.16.i386.rpm
kernel-source-2.4.18-19.7.x.i386.rpm

After this I get compile errors when compiling the kernel, as well as when
I compile virtually anything else - even stuff I compiled successfully before.
All kinds of errors "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type", parse errors,
"Internal error: Segmentation fault", etc. Nothing works.

I'm thinking that the updates I did are somehow inconsistent with each
other. Can someone help?

For reference, are there rules like

-If you install the kernel source rpm you must install the corresponding
(whatever) ....

-When you upgrade gcc you must upgrade the corresponding (whatever) ....

-When you upgrade glibc (or other key) libraries, you must upgrade the
corresponding (whatever) ....

answers or pointers to answers appreciated ...

Thx!

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/