anonymous page

Hi All,

Does a anonymous page get added to the page cache's active list when it gets created? I am unable to find out any place in the code where it seems to be doing so. If it is not, then how does page aging happen on anonymous page? Again The page aging seems to be hapenning only on the active list of the page cache. I am kind of confused with the flow; it would be nice if someone could trace the path of anonymous page.

Also I have another question on shared pages. On my 2.4.2 kernel, the refill_inactive_scan() function (which moves the pages from active to inactive dirty list) seems to be process a page only if the page count is 1 if not in buffer cache or 2 otherwise. But if the page is shared among multiple processes, the count can be greater in which case it is not a contendor for getting swapped out. How does then swapping work on shared pages?

Thanks
Raghav

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/