Regarding mkdep usage

Hi,
   I am curious to know why we have a separate application called mkdep used for Kernel compilation purposes. I have a couple of queries regarding the same :-

1. If any of the prerequisites of a file changes then the .depend has to be generated again for all the files in the directory which is time consuming.

2. The .depend in the subdirectories is generated on demand, why can't we generate it automatically.

3. Instead of mkdep why aren't we using the gcc switch -M, is there any particular reason behind the same.

Thanks & Regards,
/Manjunath B.S.