Realtime processes with sched_setscheduler

On a common x86 PC, there' s a simple process, that lets the realtime clock chip wake it up, each 500/2^n milliseconds.
Depending on a command line switch, it may incease its priority at startup, using the well-known

schp.sched_priority = prio;
err = sched_setscheduler( 0, policy, &schp);

calls.
When the process is being run with the above priority control (policy==SCHED_FIFO,prio==99), it shows timing deviations up to 40 ms, compared to the predetermined desired value - I have one,or more, bad processes running on my RedHat distro, that periodically think a lot ;-).
If being run with a simple 'nice --20', the jitter maximum is ONE millisecond.

The actual GNU libc manual says, that the POSIX-conform scheduler call is just a fine-tuning of a process priority - the nice value is the major parameter here. Does the kernel agree with that ?

Michael

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/