Re: network block device

* Sameer Kamat (sameer@unitrends.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>       I had a question about NBD. I am using the 2.4.18 kernel . I
> recompiled the kernel with the option of CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD. I then rebooted
> the system. Having never used nbd before, I was surprised to see that the
> devices nd* were not created under the /dev directory neither did it have
> any entry in /proc.

It is an incorrect assumption that NBD will create /dev nodes (unless
you are using devfs).  And if you look at the code in drivers/block/nbd.c
you will not see any code that creates /proc entries either.  I'd
suggest taking a look at Documentation/nbd.txt to see what major/minor
numbers to use when creating (mknod) the block device node.  Also, this
requires some userland software as well to handle both client and server
side (IIRC).

good luck,
-chris