pseudo-useful add-on for the kernelver script

Hello,
I was all excited when I read that I could get mail whenever finger
@www.kernel.org changes, but to my dismay the script didn't send mail it
just spit out `finger @www.kernel.org` when @www.kernel.org changed. So I
made an add-on that e-mails me with the new version in the subject line
and the finger information in the body. I hope that this is useful to
somebody.

#!/usr/bin/perl
# FILENAME:     KernelAlert.pl
# VERSION:      1.0
# INITIAL DATE: 2002-12-08
# LAST CHANGE:  2002-12-08
# PROGRAMMER:   Thomas Cort <tcort@cort.ws>
# LICENSE:      MIT
# COPYRIGHT:    (c) 2002 Thomas Cort
#
# HOW-TO-USE:   Step 1) Download kernelver from:
#                       http://www.kernelnewbies.org/scripts/kernelver
#               Step 2) Place kernelver and this file in the same directory
#               Step 3) Replace line 23 of kernelver with:
#                       KernelAlert.pl
#               Step 4) Change the USER DEFINE VARIABLES below
#               Step 5) Make sure kernelver & KernelAlert.pl are executable
#               Step 6) Check the path to perl. Line 1 of this file
#               Step 7) Periodically call kernelver from a cronjob
#
## USER DEFINED VARIABLES ##
$email_address = "tcort\@cort.ws";
$path_to_sendmail = "/usr/bin";
## END USER DEFINED VARIABLES ##

# Open diff file. If a line has "+T" copy the string from character 60 to
# character 80 and put the copy in $updated_kernel. Close diff file.
open(DIFF,".kv.diff");
while (<DIFF>) {
  if (/\+T/) {
    $updated_kernel = substr($_,60,80);
  }
}
close(DIFF);

# Set the message subject
$subject = "Subject: Kernel Alert:$updated_kernel\n\n";

# Open sendmail and start a mail to $email_address w/a subject of $subject
open(MAIL,"|$path_to_sendmail/sendmail $email_address");
print MAIL "$subject";

# copy the new finger information into the e-mail
open(KV,".kv.new");
while (<KV>) { print MAIL "$_"; }
close(KV);

# send and close the e-mail