Re: cleaning up users and users' fil

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:28:37PM -0800, tune more wrote:
> [create account, delete account, create new account --> give old uid
> to new user, complete with access to old user's files]

> How can I prevent from that or how to clean up before
> creating new users? Is there any script or program to
> do that?

There is a reason why many commercial unix systems never _delete_ users
-- they can only be disabled. (This comes in part from an Orange Book
requirement that old resources be sufficiently 'cleaned' before being
given to a new user, and finding all files owned by the old user is
harder than simply giving the new user a different UID.)

usermod(8)'s -L flag comes close to doing what you'd like.

Or, if you're _positive_ that the only resources used by the old user
are files on the local system, you could use find(1)'s -uid option.

--
Sniff you jerks later. -- Captain Murphy