From: edwin.hold@t-online.de [mailto:edwin.hold@t-online.de]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 12:58 PM
To: Ravi
Cc: Shilpa_Bansod@nai.com; kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org
Subject: Re: Persisting data with pointers

Ravi wrote:

 >> I need to find out the ways to persist data with pointers
 >> (excluding usage of memory mapped files). Is there any
 >> data type that I can use?
 >

 >  I don't understand what exactly you mean by 'persist
 > data'. You want data to persist across what? Multiple
 > executions of a program? Reboots?

I think it's about memory mapped i/o, accessing devices
like memory pages. the data 'will be piped' from the
buffer to the storage media. Persistence (persistancy? huh?)
means to store data for a longer time (kept after reboot).
When accessing memory through mmap io you'll read directly
from the media but funktions and data will be handled like
normal memory i/o. without using read/write functions.

 > -Ravi.

Edwin