Re: Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs

Reference to this thread.

I had the same problem. On Redaht 8.0, I compiled ext3 and ide support in the kernel, and without
initrd. I was not able to boot.

After investigating, I realized, that Redhat has inserted following line in grub.conf file

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi

Which I had copied blindly. The system would panic failing to mount root fs.

I changed the about line to read

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14usb ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi

This time system booted ok with new kernel, and also mounted other partitions by there lable names.

This mean that unless you have initrd, you cannot have label for your root partition.

Usman

======================================================================================================
Hi,

I tried to make a custom kernel with module versionning disabled, but my
custom kernel didn't boot showin the following message instead:
--------
VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00
-----------

I did the compilation on RedHat 8.0 using the distro provided kernel
sources in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14 under root account with the following
comands:

make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

The /boot/grub/grub.conf file was set for the custom curnel by the make script itself

Could someone tell me what I've done wrong and how to solve the problem.

Thanks!

--
Usman S. Ansari

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/