managing device queues

 Hi,

   I am writing a middleware which instead of having the I/O devices
manage there queues the middleware manages them. I want a grt help from
you guys.

  I have a module that intercepts the system calls that access the
devices. I will be checking whether the device is busy or not. If the
device is not busy then the system call will complete else the task will
be put onto a wait queue that is managed at the middleware. Then I will be
polling the devices at regular interval of time and if I see a device is
free then I dequeue a task and complete its request.

  So can any one of you guys give me an idea of how to poll the device
status saying whether it is busy or not. Then can you please refer to me
some articles or links that speack about managing the device queues and
how are these device queues handled.

 thanks in advance,
  raghu.