RE: DMA support

Hey Velco,

Have you had much experience with this part?

I have a working driver for the PLX-9054. I have tested
DMA and can get it to work. But I want to iterate
to a cleaner design.

I have a pretty complete set of use-cases at
the Linux user-space end, and my DSP end. The
underlying driver implementation could be improved
without changing my interface.

The interface is:

  - There is a DSP on the PCI board
  - There are up to 14 boards in a crate
  - The DSP writes a monitor data packet to
    shared memory every 500ms
  - The DSP writes a data packet to shared
    memory every 100ms
  - The DSP and host communicate commands
    via a stdin/stdout/stderr interface
    implemented in shared memory.

  - The host sees the device handles

	/dev/cobra_plxN     - plx control registers
      /dev/cobra_controlN - raw board access (mmap)
      /dev/cobra_stdioN   - stdin/out interface
	/dev/cobra_stderrN  - stderr (read-only)
 	/dev/cobra_monitorN - monitor packets (read-only)
 	/dev/cobra_dataN    - data packets (read-only)

    N = 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

    Separate device handles are used so that the
    monitor data packet catching process can use
    select() on all of the boards. A timeout in
    the select calls allows non-responding boards
    to be ignorred. The data files are used similarly.

    The stdio interface is used to implement a
    'shell' on the DSP. The Linux side just reads
    from the hosts stdin, writes it to the DSP
    stdio device, reads the response and writes
    it to the host stdout. This program does not
    need to be changed. All changes happen at the
    DSP end.

At the moment I'm trying to debug a sporadic problem
with handshaking between the host and the DSP....

Do you know of any other example driver code?

Thanks,
Dave Hawkins
Caltech.