kernel_thread questions

Hello,

   I am using a kernel thread in a driver I wrote to implement the notion of a producer/consumer relationship in an i/o request queue. The device is a polled device. Tasklets didn't seem to be what I needed. The kernel thread works but not without problems.

1) Are kernel threads pre-emptible? Have time quantum? (When I start a long i/o request in the driver my mouse and kde lock up. After done, then OK).

2) I have looked at other example drivers in Linux driver tree that use kernel_thread like SMBIOS driver. If I do a shutdown of Linux, then I get infinite loop in kernel thread. Of course, if I do a driver unload, then things are better. ???

3) Where are flags documented?

If there is a mail list I can put questions on ,please tell me.

Regards, Vasili Galchin

Do you Yahoo!?