Re: understanding bootsect.S

gopan kumar schrieb:

> hello all,
>
> I am relatively new to linux and currently i am trying to understand
> bootsect.S code. I have reached midway but am feeling difficulty in
> understanding some part of the code (like creating a new disk
> parameter table and the portions from loading of setup routines ). It
> would be very helpful if i can get any explanation on the bootsect
> file, i have searched the net for it but couldn't find any documents
> which explain bootsect.S in detail. Can someone give me any helpful
> links or advice regarding this ?
>
>                               Thanks & regards
>
>                                          gopkumar

> Protect your PC - Click here <http://g.msn.com/8HMJEN/2024> for
> McAfee.com VirusScan Online -- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn
> about the Linux kernel. Archive:
> http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

Hello,

yes I think I can explain you some of detailes you wanne know.

First of all you should read Documentation/i386/boot.txt which you can
tread as an introduction to the booting routine on 80x86. Next see
http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/lki.html (as suggested by
kr@cybsft.com) which is generally a very good place for gathering
information. If you still have some questions regarding the boot
procedure read http://www.phoenix.com/resources/specs-bbs101.pdf
(generally BIOS docs can be found at
http://www.phoenix.com/en/support/white+papers-specs/default.htm) or
just ask me.

A description of the fixed disk parameter table (which is stored
somewhere in the BIOS area - the pointer at address 0x78 directs you to
this place) can be found
http://members.tripod.com/~oldboard/assembly/bios_data_area.html (search
for INT 1E) and if you follow the link there
http://members.tripod.com/~oldboard/assembly/int_1e.html. (the same can
be also found at http://www.piclist.com/techref/int/sum.htm)

Next I wanne suggest you to read something about Intels architecture
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/manuals/index2.htm and
something regarding the gnu assembler
http://www.gnu.org/manual/gas-2.9.1/html_chapter/as_toc.html.

Have fun!