Re: Using Select() for both sockets and Queues

Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:19:15PM -0700, Monear Jalal wrote:
>
>>Its a System V queue. Hoe would i go about converting
>>a System V queue to look like a socket. I would like
>>to stick with select() and make a the queue somehow
>>look like a file descriptor.
>

> No, I meant use socket the way you use queue. It is however only
> possible if you don't make extensive use of the msgtype feature.

Actually it could still be done by packing the message types in as the
first part of the message that the processes are writing to the sockets
as in:
struct         {
    mtyp_t      mtype;
    char        mtext[2048];
    } mesg;

>>You are rigth i could service the queue under a
>>thread, however it would be elegant to have select do
>>this.
>

> I fear select can't do this. The SysV ipc is unfortunately too much broken
> interface.

If it is implemented in sockets it should work fine. I quit using
message queues for this reason as well as others.

kr

<snip>