kernel compilation, kernel compilation

--- Seth Arnold <sarnold@wirex.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:09:54AM -0700, nitin
> panjwani wrote:
> > How can I check the compiler proble. Will the
> > installing new gcc from gnu.org solve the problem.
>
> Chances are good you couldn't compile it. :)
>
> > I think this nay be reason ..my current
> installation
> > shows my machine as i586.. but I know it is K6-2.
>
> Yeah, I suggest trying to get i386 or i486 versions
> of _everything_
> installed on your system in place of the i586

My machine is curently running gcc-2.95.4 from debian,
I tried  to cmpile 2.95.3, official kernel, but I got
signal 11. So what does it indicate.

This website says http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ ,
that some of K6-2 450's have problem. But I don't
think that should be as I have been working with this
machine fom along time and never faced any problem
with processor.

> versions of software.
>
> Check the packages you've installed from your
> distribution. And go run
> memtest86. :)
I run mtest86, but it did bot generate any error, so
probably my memory is fine. Yeah it was showing Level2
cache unknown, I think that shouldn't be problem
??please advice .

> > For memory I have never faced problem with any
> other
> > program.. yeah mu x systems get killed couple of
> times
> > and my linux works very slow.
>
> This is highly unusual. X shouldn't die. (It does,
> from time to time, of
> course, but mine has been running for 140 days at
> this point, so it is
> possible for X to be stable. :)

What will be the right steps, if I compile the kernel
on other machine(PII, grub, RH7.2) with my patch, and
move it to this machine(K6-2,Lilo, Debian-woodie with
2.4.18).