Question about the ipc structure

Hi,

   I have been trying to get the shared memory and IPC part of the
Linux-2.4.19 kernel... Does anyone know the significance of the 'seq' and
'seq_max' variables in the following ipc_ids structure?? Also what are the
values it takes and when is it initialised??

struct ipc_ids {
        int size;
        int in_use;
        int max_id;
        unsigned short seq;     <--------- ??
        unsigned short seq_max; <--------- ??
        struct semaphore sem;
        spinlock_t ary;
        struct ipc_id* entries;
};

Also, I could not understand the significance of the ipc_buildid() function
which converts the id to a bigger value (both the input id and the output id
to the function are unique which is a sufficient requirement of the id).
This functiona makes use of the 'seq' and SEQ_MULTIPLIER (whose value is
32768) to generate this bigger value.

Could it be made to work without this buildid() function??

Thanks in advance,
Asmita from MAASK group

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!