Linux Scheduler

Hi,
	I have some questions on linux scheduling. Linux kernel is non-preemptive in kernel mode ..right. Now it is executing
in the kernel mode and a timer interrupt occurs ,Does is preempt ..I mean the timer interrupt is of utmost priority it has
to get processed. Please can someone enlighten me about what will happen if the timer interrupt occurs when it is executing
in kernel mode on behalf of some process.

Thanks in advance,
Rahul