Re: Other kernels?

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:17:32AM +0200, Creative Minds wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to the list. I was just curious about one thing.
>
> Obviously the Linux Kernel is pretty old and based on some really old
> ideas and is uhm, well tested and all but just plain old...
>
> Has anyone of you thought of working on a kernel based on science from
> later than the 80's? NewOS/OpenBeOS (www.openbeos.org) for instance?
> Based on the needs of the 21st Century and is the best one known out
> there for multimedia applications....
>
> I know this is somewhat off topic but I wanna hear the motivation to
> why people stay working on the Linux kernel when the design is so old
> compared to the competition...

Um, what "old" designs are in the kernel?
Monolithic design?  Well, that's been argued to death, and sorry,
monolithic won.

Object oriented design?  Hm, that's throughout the kernel.

Everything's a file?  That just makes sense :)

I'm interested in your opinions of why you think the Linux kernel is so
old.

And who's competing?  Where's the race?  (hint, there isn't one...)

thanks,

greg k-h