Re: real-time process

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 05:59:10PM +0530, Nagaraj wrote:

> > Well I dont mean to intrude, but IMHO, this looks like a multithreading
> > requirement in userspace.
>
> Probably yes. I didnt try that.

I bet no.

> >writes are generally blocking calls and if the
> > application intends to fill in another buffer during the time the write
> call is
> > being executed, let him use multithreading in userland and that will solve
> his
> > problem.. Or am I missing something ?

Yes...

> Yeh, if u can somehow arrange to
> prepare the second buffer and send it immediately
> when blocking write returns, and setup a new dma for that,
> it should also solve the problem.
>
> any volunteers to try that out  ?

You are both missing the poll system call and the O_NONBLOCK fcntl
flags (note that only blocking call gives scheduler an oportunity to
switch threads, so once you use O_NONBLOCK, threads can help nothing
more).

However, you did not post the code with both read and write yet... (or
did I mis it?)

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>