From: Momchil Velikov [mailto:velco@fadata.bg]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 1:04 PM
To: Sonawane, Rahul (Rahul)
Cc: kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org
Subject: Re: Linux scheduling.

>>>>> "Sonawane" == Sonawane, Rahul (Rahul) <sonawane@avaya.com> writes:

Sonawane> Hi, I think goodness of a process is calculated after it has
Sonawane> entered the schedule. Will it happen than when it is in
Sonawane> schedule the current process(prev) happens to have policy
Sonawane> SCHED_FIFO and needs to go in wait queue or whatever.  Thank
Sonawane> you, Rahul.

I'm not sure what you mean ...

Policy has meaning only when choosing what process to run next,
otherwise it is irrelevant - if a process want to block it blocks and
that's all.

So, when choosing what process to run next the scheduler considers
goodness value. The goodness value takes into account the scheduling
policy in a way that real-time scheduled processes always have
precedence over SCHED_OTHER ones.

~velco