Re: kernel compiling

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:48:10PM +0530, Ashwin N. wrote:
> [...]

And have you run lilo? Just a sanity-check.

> > monitor screen
> > | only prints out  "Linux " or "Linux ........." and then nothing

AFAIK it must have also printed "Loading" or "Uncompresing" (First

> > Did you do "make modules" and "make modules_install"? When you say you
> > modifed the lilo.conf does that mean that you ran lilo after modifying
> > the lilo.conf to include a new entry for the new kernel? Also I don't
> > know if you need to make an initrd? If you are using IDE chances are
> > that you can get by without it.
>
> Have you followed all the steps given in Linux Kernel HOWTO -
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Anyway, I have a machine, on which some kernels refuse to boot at all,
some boot only half of the times randomly and some boot with no problem.

However, IIRC they made it to "Now booting the kernel" or at least
always finished uncompresing. If it does not finish loading, then it's
probably broken lilo map file which could be corected by running lilo.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>