Re: Demand paging

>I think this combines with the ldt (local descriptor table). In this
>table, you specify how long will be the memory segment for data, code
>and stack. You could start a process with a virtual space of 1 or 2
>MBytes by writing the appropiate values into his ldt and based on this,
>you would only need one page table (one page table takes 4Kb for
>addressing 4MBytes).
>
>Is this correct?

I don't think so.  This was driving me crazy recently, too.  I haven't
tracked down all of the specific parts in the code, but I believe it
creates page tables, and maybe page directory entries, too,  only as they
are actually requested.  The present/not present is probably used only when
the page has been (demand) loaded, then swapped back out.  More details,
anyone?

Thanks for asking this, Pere, I'm in the middle of trying to understand
this, too.