Re: Super block info

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 05:36:43AM +0100, Dharmender Rai wrote:
> a super block is related to one file system. linux
> supports many. "x" super-blocks can be used to support
> that "x" fs types. the info about the fs can be
> extracted using the union.

More exactly, info the specific filesystem driver uses internaly is
stored there. Noone but the driver system should ever look there.

> PS : union is being used to save space (also because
> we need info abt 1 fs ) ;)
>
>  --- VS <dojik@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi,
> >
> > In the struct super_block in linux/fs.h
> > there is a union which has the union u which points
> > the super_block_info of different file systems.
> > Could
> > someone tell me what this super_block_info is and
> > what
> > it is used for. Is there any particular format for
> > the
> > structure. Is there any documentation on this on the
> > web. Also I think to add a filesystem I have to use
> > the generic_spb pointer in this union. Any pointers
> > are appreciated.

It's data of filesystem driver. If you are writing a driver, put
anything you need there. If not, don't ever thing of looking there.

If you are adding a driver, you may either patch fs.h to include your
struct as well, or use the generic pointer.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>