Re: module_info file++

High Commander Todd Beauchemin wrote:

 > This is the file.  From what I have been able to
 > gather its strictly a redhat thing.  However
 > its annoying not to know what it is used for.

It's not a modules.conf file

And btw. man modules.conf is not man /etc/modules.conf.
The second lists the contents of /etc/modules.conf, the
first gives the documentation.

I compared the syntax (but didn't read the complete manpage
at once) but the module_info file is != a modules.conf file. :)

 > - --------------------------------------------
 > Todd Beauchemin
 > high-commander@todds-world.net
 > Hotmail: Marauder328@hotmail.com
 > AIM: Marauder328
 > www.todds-world.net

[...]

 > too) ... A Suse Distribution can't help you here. The modules.conf seems to
 > be
 > close to be correctly guessed, if module_info is not a binary.
 >
 > Edward

 > Version 0
 > #  The version 0 module-info format is ('|' denotes the left margin):
 > #  |<module-name>
 > #  |  <module-type> [<module-alias>]
 > #  |  "<description-string>"
 > #  |  <argument> "<argument-description-string>" ["<match-regex>" ["<default>"]]
 > #  |# <comment>
 > #  Stanzas are delimited by non-indented lines, and continued with indented
lines.
 > #  Comments start in the first column, or are preceded only by whitespace.
 > #  The []'s above are not literal, they delimit optional material.
 > #  There can be multiple <argument> lines.
 > #  <module-name> is the name of the module without any .o extension, just
 > #  as the module name would be entered in /etc/modules.conf
 > #  <module-type> is the base part of the string demanded by kerneld (eth,
 > #  scsi_hostadapter, etc.)
 > #  <module-alias> is an optional identifier to identify groups of similar
 > #  drivers, such as the non-scsi cdrom devices which are requested by
 > #  block-major-*; they are given an alias of "cdrom".
 > #  <description-string> is a free-form string enclosed in quotes to describe
 > #  the module to a human reader
 > #  <argument> is an argument such as io or irq, as understood by the module
 > #  <argument-description-string> is a free-form description
 > #  <match-regex> is a regular expression which can be used to test the
 > #  validity of a user-entered string
 > #  <default> is a default value.  This should not be provided unless it is
 > #  almost always the correct value, and will not, say, hang a user's computer
 > #  if it is wrong
 > #
 > #  Ideas for version 1 file format:
 > #   o Add long description, presumably including all known cards supported
 > #     by the module in question
 > #   o Sub-argument description, for arguments which have multiple parts
 > #     separated by commas, particularly ones which share code with boot-time
 > #     arguments.
 > #   o Optional architecture flag(?)
 >
 > # drivers/net directory
      ^^^^^^^^^^^

      look into drivers/net directory

      *i found these the following names as filenames in /usr/src/linux/

 > 3c501
 >     eth
 >     "3Com 3c501"
 >     io "Base I/O address" "0x[0-9a-fA-F]+"
 >     irq "IRQ level" "[0-9]+"

i thought
---------

module_name (/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/module_name.c)
    device
        module parameter 1 "name"         (but a description string, no param.)
        module parameter 2 "name" "range" ("name" and "range" !def, look below)
        module parameter 3 "name" "range"

but the above file comment and "ideas 1" explain.

<module-name>
  <module-type> [<module-alias>]
  "<description-string>"
  <argument> "<argument-description-string>" ["<match-regex>" ["<default>"]]
# <comment>

i think match-regex is like a parameter range
and default means the default value of the parameter
(for me about paremeter "name" "range" "value")
they'll need it for the module source belonging to,
i looked into drivers/net :)

The module sources are in your /usr/src/linux/drivers/net directory.
The will use the parameters herewith. I don't know when and where.

I don't know what redhat does with it. I don't find such a file with
such a format on my  Suse. I don't find in in the /boot, /etc, /src
directory. I think we don't have it :)

<uninteresting>
I think we have a) /etc/rc.config and /etc/rc.config.d and
b) are my /etc/modules.devfs and /etc/modules.conf in modprobe(8)
     (and depmod(8)) format.
That has nothing to do with it. If you have fun, and have the time,
you can compare your distribution with the suse resource control ;).
The module_info files seems more to be used for compilation instead
of administration.

</uninteresting>

Edward