Re: doubt ? segmentation

Hello!

Dne sreda 4. september 2002 18:33 je Angelo Dell'Aera napisal(a):

> >Segments are kind of superfluous for linux. They are superseeded by
> >paging, but ia32 insists on still using them. So there is as little of
> >them as possible.
>
> True. Infact Linux prefers paging since it guarantees portability to
> other archs which support segmentation in a very limited way. Btw in

Has anyone experiance with x86 32-bit segmentation (with paging) ?

The way I understand is if OS is using segments it actualy doesn't have to do
executable and shared-library relocations but task switch is probably more
expensive. Plus increasing a memory segment (brk()) is extremly easy and you
don't run in address space shortage as with pure paging (there is no external
memory fragmentation).

--
best regards,
Rok Papež.