Re: user and kernel space ?

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:13:43 +0530
"Kedar Sovani" <kedar@calsoftinc.com> wrote:

>Hi, And also  that unlike the processes can  be pre- empted,while the
>kernel  cannnot. In  that particular  case you  may  have performance
>gains if you  have something in the kernel, rather  than being in the
>user space, as it runs continuously.

There's something obscure  in what you said.  If  kernel control paths
are not  preemptable but you say  they run continuosly  maybe a simple
kernel  thread  should  block  my  uniprocessor  CPU...   Implementing
everything  in kernel  could be  useful for  gaining  performances but
because there's  no need to switch  between User Mode  and Kernel Mode
which in some situations could lead to poor performances.

Regards,

Angelo Dell'Aera 'buffer'
<buffer@users.sourceforge.net>