Re: doubt ?

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 10:39:20AM -0700, Mcen navaraj wrote:
> what is the use of gates in the intel processors ?
> what is the use of interrupt gate ?

I think you should consult intel documentation manuals about the ia32
architecture for the specifics on these questions. It is my
understanding that the interrupt gate method of access control is not
used in the Linux kernel, and in fact, it isn't used in any popular free
linux-like operating system.[1]

> please tell me how many segments are created when a
> process is created ?.What are the segments are created
> when we create a process ?

It is further my understanding that there are two segments created at
boot time, one for kernel, one for userspace, and they largly or
completely overlap. (I don't know details, but I think the getfs() and
setfs() calls can be used to modify the segments.)

I suggest reading about PaX, it is my understanding it uses segments to
provide finer access control granularity.

Cheers

[1] (Evidently, The Open Group is being picky about its Unix trademark
and hassling people who use the phrase "unix-like" to describe Linux. I
doubt Linus would hassle me about describing Unix [tm] operating systems
as "linux-like". :)

--
It seems the power has been robbed from the founding fathers and is now
firmly in the hand of the funding fathers -- Rik van Riel