Re: what is the difference of console_init() and tty_init()

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:56:46AM +0900, Y.H. Park wrote:
> I'm studying functions inside start_kernel() function.
> I'm confused with the purpose of console_init() and the data structures that it use.
> I'm even confused with the concepts of 'console' and 'tty'.
> Does anybody know information or documentation about that?
> Please help.

AFAIK console is where printk writes while tty is a bidirectional pipe
with user on the other end.

Tty can be a serial line, vitual console (that is the computers keyboard
and monitor) or a pseudoterminal (program sits on the other end and
comunicates with user by other means (ususaly ends up using other tty).

Console can be mapped either to one serial line or to all vc. All vcs
means it's always the one that is displayed.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>