Re: proper ksymoops tracing

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
Ravi <kravi26@yahoo.com> wrote:

R> > My question is really simple: How can I read the correct location in
R> > the source where the oops occured out of my ksymoops output ?
R>
R>  Are you asking how to find the source line number based on ksymoops
R> output? There is no foolproof way (on x86 at least). Unless the kernel
R> is compiled with '-g', line number information isn't stored anywhere.
R>
R> Here is what I do: disassemble the function using gdb, look for other
R> kernel symbols aronud the offset where the oops occured (like call to
R> another function, reference to a global variable, etc.) and try to
R> match it up with the source. Works for me everytime.

	Another thing you can do is to run the kernel using UML and just set some
breakpoints around the offset (or functions) that the opps occured.

	The best thing of this approach is that you get on-the-fly debugging,
since the kernel is running (but inside a user-space process).

Felipe