Re: linux filesystem

we dont want to maintain all the inodes in the memory i.e
inodes can be
on the disks (dinodes) as well therefore dentry acts as a
cache for
the faster access of the inodes. You dont have to everytime
do a
disk access to have an inode

There is a VFS sitting in between the lower FS & upper
filesystem.
Now the idea of not having the inodes directly in file table
is
to keep the lower filesystem independent of each other i.e
they
can have their own definition of the inodes. There has to be
a place
who has to maintain the abstraction of inodes and the
filetable and VFS
does it.

Thanks,
Sumit

Saji Kumar VR wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Can some one please tell why do we need dentry? cant we just have inode
> pointer directly from file structure? what is the advantage? how its used to
> increase performance?
>
> Rgds,
> Saji
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------
>                            Name: Wipro_Disclaimer.txt
>    Wipro_Disclaimer.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                        Encoding: 7bit
begin:vcard
n:Agarwal;Sumit
tel;fax:(91)(80)2200196
tel;home:+919845205210
tel;work:2051126
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.hp.com
org:HP-ISO;HPUX
version:2.1
email;internet:aksumit@india.hp.com
title:Senior Software Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Hewlett-Packard,=0D=0AIndia Software Operation Pvt. Ltd.,=0D=0A29, Cunningham Road,=0D=0A;Bangalore;Karnataka;560052;India
fn:Sumit Agarwal
end:vcard