Re: Pages swapped out even when free memory available...

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:02:29AM -0700, Seth Arnold wrote:
> > Is it possible to tell the kernel the maximum amount of disk cache it should use?
>
> Not that I know of. This is a frequently-requested tweakable parameter,
> and while an ideal virtual memory system would never need to be tweaked
> by end users/administrators, I am a little surprised it isn't
> implemented, since I think few would claim the linux virtual memory
> system can't be improved further. :) (And no, Rik, I'm not volunteering
> to implement it myself. rmap meets my needs fine. :)

It's simply because there is no such parameter. AFAIK the page cache
manager does not make a difference between mapped and non-mapped pages.
It simply has to pointers that walk the pages around with the same
speed. The first one clears the accessed flag. The second one releases
the page if it finds the access flag is still down. It does not look in
memory maps and there is no flag on the page to tell it's mapped or not.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>