Re: what is a kernel?

--- jeff <dj_jeff_lynn@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to know what a kernel is. I cant find it anywhere, so
> Ill ask. What do they do?

Hmmm...  Found the follownig here:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/k/kernel.html

<snip>
kernel:

The central module of an operating system. It is the part of the
operating system that loads first, and it remains in main memory.
Because it stays in memory, it is important for the kernel to be as
small as possible while still providing all the essential services
required by other parts of the operating system and applications.
Typically, the kernel is responsible for memory management, process
and task management, and disk management.
</snip>

Harmony,

--Christine