Re: Question about ksymoops

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:06:12PM -0700, Ahmed M wrote:
> I dont have the System.map or vmlinux on the root filesystem.  Here are my
> questions:
>
> 1.  I run the following command:
>
> $ ksymoops panic.out        // panic.out contains the output of kernel
>
> I still get some translations of addresses in the output of the above
> command.  How is ksymoops able to do that?

The first few lines of ksymoops output says where its gets its data.
Since it gets it from /proc/ksyms, /boot/System.map (or similar),
lsmod(8) output, etc, it is completely meaningless to decode the oops on
your development machine UNLESS you copy over the useful data from your
embedded machine and tell ksymoops where the information can be located.

(Running ksymoops -h will show you how to specify where it can find the
information it desires.)

I've attached a script and data file that I used frequently when
debugging a recent memory leak. You will need to tweak it to match your
settings; it should be very obvious what needs changing for your own
setup.

--
http://immunix.org/
/etc/subdomain.d/

FILES=`cat ~/.filelist`
MACHINE=dhcp-242
USER=root

mkdir -p ~/.files
cd ~/.files
rm -r -- 5
mv 4 5
mv 3 4
mv 2 3
mv 1 2
mkdir 1

for i in $FILES ;
do (ssh -l $USER $MACHINE tar chf - $i) | (cd ~/.files/1/ && tar xf - )
done