Functions in Library versus in Kernel

Dear all,

I do have a sort of conceptional question that comes from a practical
problem. As the problem is very specific I try to ask the question in a manner that
more people can understand and maybe help.

I have written a loadable kernel module that I load with modprobe xxx.

The module xxx makes use of a C function which seems to obviously be in some
of the standard libraries. I assume this because if I write an isolated type
of Hello-World in c and just compile it with gcc it works just fine.

In contrast the module compiles fine as well, but reports "unresolved
symbols" on depmod or when I try to load it.

So my question is: Do I have to avoid using functions that are in the C
library when writing kernel modules or is there a special trick that I need to
now.

Hope I explained this in a way everyone understood the question. If not,
pleaase ask for details.

Regards,
Torsten