Cache alignment problems

I recently read the discussion on lkml about cache aligning data structures used
for DMA on non-coherent machines. I have a couple PowerMac 6500s which are
affected by this issue. For any ethernet card I put in these machines, I
have to modify the drivers to use cache aligned descriptors in some fashion.
The current approach I tried after reading the lkml discussion is to create a
pci pool (aligned to L1_CACHE_BYTES) and allocate each descriptor from this
pool.

Is this something that should be done for every descriptor ring based driver
to ensure portabiliy? Or can anyone suggest a better approach, or is there a
good reason this is not done now? It seems useful to me as Linux makes further
progress in embedded systems.

|   Nathan Ingersoll             |   Computer Science/Mathematics         |
|   mailto: ningerso@d.umn.edu   |   University of Minnesota-Duluth       |
|   http://umn.edu/~ningerso     |   http://www.d.umn.edu                 |